Are you among the millions of people considering getting a replacement for your missing tooth?
Thankfully, with the advancement of dental care, dental implants are now the most effective treatment choice to replace a missing tooth.
Dental implants differ from bridges and dentures, even though they have similar functions. However, this dental procedure involves surgery and an extensive recovery period, raising the question, "Is dental implant surgery painful?"
So, before you think of undergoing dental implant surgery, it is essential to know what the procedure involves and what level of pain you can expect.
What are dental implants?
Oral surgeons classify implant surgery into two phases- installation of the implant and affixing the abutment. The surgical process commences by surgically inserting the metallic screw-like structure (implant) into the jaw.
Once the implant is affixed and secured, the oral surgeon attaches the artificially fabricated tooth replacement on top of the implant to complete the procedure.
What is anesthesia?
The term"anesthesia" means loss of sensation. People who are administered anesthesia will lose the feeling of pain and other senses.
Before performing dental surgery, an oral surgeon administers anesthesia to the treatment area to ensure that you do not feel any pain or discomfort during the entire surgery.
There are several anesthesia options available that your doctor may choose depending upon the procedure you are about to undergo and your health condition.
Some of the most common types of anesthesia are mentioned below:
- Local anesthesia, where only the area of treatment is numbed,
- Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) Sedation with Local Anesthesia to numb the treated area and make the patient feel relaxed,
- IV Sedation with Local Anesthesia is directly injected into the bloodstream along with local anesthesia,
- General anesthesia, where patients lose consciousness.
Why do you need it done?
Dental implants are one of the most efficient techniques to repair lost teeth. Here are some of the reasons why you must choose to undergo this surgery:
- Denture implants prevent the degradation of the jawbone caused by tooth loss.
- A tooth implant is one of the best ways to restore your beautiful smile as it looks and feels like natural teeth.
- The implants allow you to speak with confidence without any worry of slipping.
- These affordable denture implants are not only durable but also sturdy. Hence, individuals with implants are not restricted from eating certain food items.
- With a dental implant, you can maintain optimum dental hygiene.
- The success rate of the dental procedure is between 95-and 98%.
How painful is dental implant surgery?
Dentistry has immensely evolved. Even though the dental treatment traumatizes the gums and jaw, the person undergoing the process will experience no pain. This is because the oral surgeon administers an anesthetic to the treatment area.
However, you can experience some discomfort as the effectiveness of sedation wears off. Our dental surgeons alleviate any remaining pain and discomfort by using painkillers and antibiotics.
What to expect when healing?
Here are specific ways to help reduce the discomfort and speed up the recovery process:
- You must rigidly adhere to the post-op instructions recommended by your oral surgeon. Among all the other instructions, some may include taking medications for pain like Advil or Tylenol and antibiotics like prophylactic.
- Gently rinsing your mouth with saline water will promote better oral health by keeping bacterial accumulation far away.
- To avoid infection, you must avoid hard, crunchy, hot, and spicy foods for at least the first ten days.
- It would be best to be cautious while brushing your teeth around the implant site to avoid infection caused by injury.
- If you experience any discomfort or soreness, you can apply a cold compress to the treated region.
- Last but not least, never miss the post-op dental appointments.
Dental Implants at Trident Smiles Dental
Are you still concerned about the pain involved in a dental implant procedure? Worry not!
At Trident Smiles Dental, that will not be a concern. Your dental visits will now be more relaxing than ever. We not only attend to our patients individually and provide them with the best treatment, but we strive to make a difference in their lives.
All you have to do is go through a hassle-free appointment booking process and visit our clinic. That's it!
Then you can relax in our massage chairs, chill out and select your favorite Netflix show while our professional oral surgeon carries out the dental procedure. The beach theme and the hot towels will take you to your relaxing vacation days and add delight to your dental experience.